Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Logic of a Four-Year-Old




Two days ago, I was trying to explain something (unknown to me now) to my four-year-old son. We were getting nowhere; so, I said to him, "You're not understanding me."

He replied emphatically and loudly, "I do understand you! But I don't know what you're talking about!"

I stopped and laughed.

Then, my husband said, "I guess that means he understands your English but not what you mean."

The four-year-old (whom we thought was no longer paying attention) said, "I understand that she's English."

"Except that she's not," said hubby.

We relived this moment tonight at the dinner table because hubby had printed a page from "the quote board" from his work. He had added this to the list. We read the silly quotes and laughed, including this incident from our house.

Afterward, the four-year-old came up to me and said, "I don't understand that you're English."

How about you? Do you ever have "conversations" like this at your house?

1 comment:

  1. :) All of the time... but that is probably because I have a four year old! I should start writing more of them down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...