Sunday, July 8, 2012

19 Reasons I Love My Husband on Our 19th Anniversary

Celebrating our 19th anniversary in Pensacola, FL
Five days and nineteen years ago, my husband and I pledged our lives, our love, and honor to one another. In celebration of this momentous occasion, I have penned nineteen reasons that I love him.

 19. His penchant for hats.

Easter Sunday 2012
18. His diligence to look for a job during our Sea of Saturdays (what I termed our season of unemployment because every day felt like a Saturday with Daddy around all of the time). I knew he provided for us faithfully but his perseverance in making cold calls, writing and re-writing his resume,  filling out on-line applications gave me new appreciation for this hat-wearing man.

17. I love his ability to build things. He built a clubhouse for the kids out of a wooden fence that someone had discarded. He bought a box of nails and waa-la we have a clubhouse. He also built a tree house during the Sea of Saturdays.

16. He always wants to sit next to me whether it is at the dinner table, the pew at church, or the couch when we watch a movie. He scoots the kids over to sit next to me. Cherished in the little things I am.



Grizzly Adams with his wife in May 2012 before he shaved.
15. He is a simple man who enjoys simple pleasures. For instance, one of his main hobbies (he says) is growing hair. Look how much fun it can be to grow and shave off. Did you have any idea?

One of the first cuts.
He is just SO Silly!



14. His willing heart (and the kind of jobs he has had)  have allowed him to be available to troubleshoot problems with the kiddos during his work day. This kind of emotional support has been immeasurable to me.

Current Kip.
13. He is generous with his time and money: first with his family (we love vacation daddy!!), his friends, and those in need.

12. He drives 900 miles one way to take all of us to visit my family at least once a year. It's convenient that some of his family now live in the same city but for many years it was a commitment to keep us connected with extended family. It was important to both of us to find someone that fit in well with our family -- we succeeded! We truly enjoy vacationing with family -- what a gift that is.

11. I love how he learned to write cards and notes because it's my love language.

He is not a natural writer. (He is an excellent writer; he just doesn't do it often). When we were dating long-distance back in the day when our long-distance phone bills were costing us an arm and a leg, I would complain of how little he would write, certainly not up to my romantic ideals. He told me then that he had written to me more than anyone else in his life. I had to take it on faith back then but through the years he has written letters and postcards, even on short business trips figuring out how to send letters in advance from our city so that we would have some to open while he was away.

And just the other day -- on a random, ordinary day -- he left a card on the kitchen counter just because! Isn't he wonderful? (Is it getting too sappy yet? Breathe deep we're half-way through the list.)

10. He is an affectionate man, giving hugs and kisses because that's his love language. I have come to love it!

His penchant for hats slipped into his first half-marathon he ran this spring.
9. We love to play games together. The ones we play most often are: Yahtzee, Cribbage and Boggle. (His willingness to play Boggle with me is an act of love.)

8. The secondary love language for both of us is quality time which shows up in game playing, but also in almost daily or should I say --nightly -- talks debriefing about our day. I love it! So often he is ready for the sack but he devotes the time to talk with me. Now that IS true love!

7. I love his musical ability. He sings. He plays guitar. He drums. He breaks out into song often.

6. My planning heart can collide with his sequential "now what's next" ways. The flip side of this is that  he is great at being in this moment, right-now. Good for my soul, that is.

The Us Box in December 2011
5. I love his steady, happy self. He cheers up the household. It has steadied me much to be married to him.

4. I love his love for the Lord. He loves to go to church. He has such a clear idea of principles and just knows the right thing to do.

3. He works the equivalent of two jobs so that I can have the best job ever -- caring for our children and educating them. We have both been committed to that vision from the beginning.

2. He values my opinions, and my decisions. He trusts me. He supports me in so many ways. One of which is symbolized by allowing me to lead a women's Bible study. The kids are older so it doesn't cost quite as much now but he has always allowed me to have a ministry outside of our home.

Can you tell how much we like us by the amount of pix we take together?

1. The best thing that I love about Kip Jaeger is that I have been married to my best friend for 19 years. I have known him for more than half my life. He is the love of my life and my kindred spirit. I am thankful to have had so much time with him. May the Lord give us many more years to share.

How did you spend your Fourth of July? Would you like to count the ways you love your spouse?
Linking with Jen and the SDG sisters.

13 comments:

  1. Awww. Happy Anniversary! Kip may not love to write, but he does love to talk and that's very cool! He's definitely fun to play Yahtzee with. And, because of Kip, I added a new word to my vocabulary: Malarky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Even in college it was obvious that the two of you were completely made for one another! I loved reading this list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely tribute to your husband! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I really miss y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! So happy to say I was there from the beginning. About 6 months before you started dating he told me he had his eye on you, and it never left. :)
    I cannot begin to count the ways I love my Hunny, but you have inspired me to start a list. Isn't God wonderful!
    Christi B

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?! Nineteen YEARS?!! I guess time flies when you're squeezing buns...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary, and thank you for sharing your sweet list about your sweetheart! Linked up behind you at SDG. Many blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated anniversary, friend! I am in Ecuador so my internet life is a little slow right now but I wanted to wish you great happiness. What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet list! Sounds like you're a lucky gal (and Kip is a lucky man!). My husband & I will celebrate our 15th anniversary this upcoming October, and I may borrow your idea to create a personal gift for him. :)

    In fact, I may make a list now just for the heck of it. I promised myself I would write more love letters to him outside of special occasions.

    Happy Anniversary!
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, I love meeting new bloggers. Such fun!

    What a great entry and lovely tribute to your Hubby. Sounds like a great guy to me.

    Goodness 19 years seems like such a short time to someone like me that celebrated 41 years last month. Yikes!

    Blessings for this day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy happy anniversary and celebration of this amazing friendship/marriage. he sounds just fantastic...perfect for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sweet. I think in our next wedding anniversary, I'll also list down the reason why I love my husband too, I find this really romantic.

    Congratulations!
    Rasmi xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...