Friday, May 18, 2012

Quick & Easy Recipe to Fill the Masses

Today, I wanted to share a yummy but easy recipe: the World's Easiest Homemade Mac-n-Cheese. I especially like  to make this when lots of children are here.  Kids run around. Moms 'talk'. I mix-it-up and throw it in the oven. While it bakes, I feed the begging, very hungry children apples, carrots, or something green. 

To clarify: I was born in Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, where mac-n-cheese was served from a box. I love this recipe but I don't have great grandma's treasured family recipe that I'm comparing it to. Don't worry,  my feelings won't be hurt if you just can't even try the recipe.   

But, I will say this: This is one of the easiest recipes I have, more moms have asked me for this recipe than any other (perhaps its because it's what I serve when they are over?)...and...even my child that doesn't like macaroni & cheese loves this recipe! 

I must give credit where it is due, I originally got the recipe at  Gayle's blog: the Grocery Cart Challenge. A great place to be inspired to live well-within your means. Check it out. But for those of you who do not feel like linking over, here it is as well
Homemade Mac-n-Cheese from the Grocery Cart Challenge
16 o.z. water
16 o.z. cottage cheese
16 o.z. shredded cheese (either cheddar or a mix)
16 o.z. noodles ( I use penne, original recipe called for elbow)
Mix all four ingredients into a greased 13x9 pan, pasta is uncooked. Bake @ 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes. It's important to stir at the 30 minute mark and watch it after that to keep the casserole creamy.

Note: Each item being the same quantity makes it easy to remember. Yet, it is a versatile little recipe and can handle substitutions. My default has become 24 o.z. of cottage cheese container (because it comes that way at my Aldi grocery store)  and the shredded cheese is 12 o.z. The recipe turns out just as yummy this way, too. I have added bits of pepperoni but the kids like it best just as mac-n-cheese. Have fun with it! If I am cooking for more than 6-7, I will make two pans. It helps.

Happy Baking & Eating.

What's cooking for your weekend? Do you have a favorite, easy recipe?

Love, Kathleen

6 comments:

  1. I quit buying boxed food a couple years ago and after that we quit eating mac n cheese. They couldn't get used to the homemade variety. I'll have to try this one, if your picky eater even liked it. :) Thank you! Have a nice weekend.

    I just started going to Aldi here in Ohio. We are on a very strict budget and it has been a blessing, though farther than the Super Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try the recipe, I'll be curious if your crew will like it or not. With the Aldi, I love less choices, great food, better prices. I'm very thankful for Aldi.

      Delete
  2. Cheeseburger soup, not the easiest but really yummy and kids love it. I should say it is easy to make but not as easy as yours sounds. :)
    1.5 pounds ground browned hamburger
    Some bacon bits (the more the better)
    6 cups chicken broth
    some potatoes cubed and peeled
    some carrots cut up
    Boil this all for 15 minutes
    1.5 cups of milk mixed with 1/2 c flour for thickner set it aside
    add a different 1.5 cups of milk to the pot
    Then add one box velveeta cubed, as it is melting add the flour thickner
    I don't cook by exact measurments, whatever is in the fridge goes in the pot.
    It is a really yummy recipe and freezes and heats up easily! You can also make it with ham or sausage instead of the hamburger.
    Oh and I think the original recipe called for celery and onions to be browned with the hamburger but I don't like those in the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again it put me as unknown, I gotta remember to sign my name. :)
    Christi (Brose)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christi,
    Thanks for the great recipe. It does sound yummy & I don't cook by exact measurements either. Having another recipe from you reminds me of the stack you gave us for our wedding. And I love the coke crock pot recipe that you gave. It is my favorite way to make pot roast. I'll have to give this one a try, too.

    I'm also wondering why it keeps not knowing who you are. Hmmm. I wish I could help with that. Thanks for being sure that I know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kath!
    See, I do follow your blog... I made this for my masses the other day and we all loved it. Hubby was a little disappointed that there were no leftovers for him to try. I used the spaetzle (sp?) noodles from Aldi, so the texture was a little different from regular pasta but it was still a HUGE hit! Thanks!
    Much Love,
    Bonnie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...