Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nineteen Days

Nineteen days I have been away. Nineteen days that have marked my life. Nineteen days of mostly walking quietly, listening, seeing what needs to be done and doing it. Asking a few questions and listening some more. When asked "will you do this?", saying yes whether I wanted to or not or whether I had done it before or not. My willingness made me qualified for the task. My willingness made me want to do the tasks. Just like the others around me.

I joined their willing example when I arrived to the loving vigil. I was allowed to step in and link arms and serve. There was waiting; there was giving pain meds; there were phone calls; there were photos; there was laughter; there were tears; there was tension; there was love. And there were lots of hugs.

There was really good food, wine and beer. There was labored breathing. There was ice cream. There were groans. There was chocolate. There were stories. There was laughter. There were tears. There was waiting and lots of hugs. There were family and friends who were really family, too. There was little sleep. There was a quiet last breath.

And I was there. Usually I live 900 miles away but I was allowed to be there, for nineteen days.

11 comments:

  1. So glad you could be there...
    ...So good to have you back.
    I love you,
    - Hubby
    (Was it nine-teen days, or nine-ty?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm so glad you were able to be there for your sister and family during their difficult time. They have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Love you lots! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took us there and back with you in words. Thanks for sharing your journey even if circumstances weren't happy ones to take you so far. Sounds like it was an impactful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...so happy you got to share those 19 days. What a beautiful way to describe what must have been a challenging time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a powerful way to say goodbye. my heart goes out to you, friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a really cool cool experience to me....glad you got those days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a sweet gift to have those days together...blessings as you continue to process all through this loss~

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a vivid picture
    your artful words paint
    ....thanks for the inspire,
    for stirring up the hope in me,
    and for sharing that beautiful
    heart of yours,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifully shared. so sorry for your loss.
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, am sorry for your lost. I am so happy to see you found joy in the journey. There is joy, even at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...