Friday, April 16, 2010

Tuna Sandwiches with a Twist

Today's post is about a favorite meal that my mom made. I remember calling her to ask for the recipe when I was a newlywed and she seemed surprised that I asked. But it's still a high rotation menu item. It is quick and easy. When I am planning my menus ahead, it will land on a night when I don't have much time to make something. And I often use the recipe when I need something quicker than on the plan for the week or on the weeks when I didn't make a plan as long as I have tuna in the cupboard. Also, thanks to a tip from a friend (thanks Jill!) I switched to white albacore tuna; my children now like all of the tuna dishes that I make. Instead of turning up their noses, they eagerly gobble them up.

Tuna Sandwiches with a Twist
3 cans white albacore tuna, drained
salt and pepper to taste
small dash of lemon juice
small dash of pickle juice, optional (this was an addition to my mother's recipe)
dill pickles chopped up, optional (I added this. Not in my mom's original recipe).
mayo, enough to make the sandwich filling moist

Mix the above ingredients. Put on sandwich bread.

Take 2-3 eggs and add a little milk. And mix together.

Dip bread into egg mixture and put on a hot griddle. Flip and grill on the other side.
Cut sandwiches in half and enjoy a yummy sandwich.

I am linking up with the Grocery Cart Challenge with this recipe swap. A great place of inspiration for keeping the budget low for a family of six.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...