Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The One Thing That I Miss From Crisis {day 19}

Balloons to say goodbye to Papa.
We lived in Crisis Mode for a year or so. Now, a few months removed from that season I find myself still missing One Thing from then. What?! Can that be? Did I just write that?

What is it that I miss? Daily visits to the hospital or the guilt if we didn't make it that day? Exhaustion to a degree I had never physically known?

No, none of that.

But I do miss the clarity of crisis. Crystal clear decision-making about what I needed to do.

Go to the hospital.
Feed the children.

That could be the entirety of my to-do list for a day. It would also take the entirety of my energy and focus. Or the list could be:

Take children to events so life seems more normal.
Or buy groceries. Just buy groceries today.

Unless, of course, a phone call came and set us spinning in another direction. I don't miss that. I don't miss not being able to plan. I don't miss the medical set-backs and unknowns. Yet somehow life seemed more free. There would be the times that I would just need to go home. Even if there were no groceries and  no plan for dinner. Home was what I needed that day. All six of us needed it.

I miss knowing with certainty that what I was doing -- whether it be a hospital visit or buying groceries -- it was what I was called to do that day. It is strange to think that during a time when I couldn't keep up with all the details of my life and would forget things such as my turn to bring snacks to choir and that during a time that I found it hard to smile that I actually miss something from that time.

I have pondered about this and wondered if there was a way to bring the Clarity of the Crisis Mode into every day. I certainly have not done a good job of this. There have been days when I've been paralyzed by the ideas and choices swirling around in my head, trying to decide what is best about things that don't really matter. 

Crisis Mode brought a clarity to the needs of the day. The urgent was the important. It was easy to be about the important, the eternal, when life hung in the balance.

Most days it is easy to get tossed about by urgent distractions that pull me away from what is really important. Yet, now I have discerned the key of the clarity in crisis: the urgent and the important were the same. This brings hope to my every day life.

If I can find the important -- whether or not it is urgent -- then I can again be about the important, eternal things in my corner of the world.

Even though there have been moments when I have been paralyzed by the swirling ideas and choices in my head, I have known even now in the months since Crisis has slowed down that I have been about important things. I have been about tending to the many things which were not tended to during the months of Crisis Distraction.

And so... these days I have been organizing my home, spending time with my children, focusing on my husband, reading my Bible, praying, writing, running, making food, and staying home.

While I long to reach out and connect some more with friendships that have been neglected during the last while, I trust that with time  I'll once again be able to look out beyond the realms of our home again.

Unless, of course, the phone rings again and sends us spinning in an altogether different direction.

Yet, for today, I am thankful for the cozy at-home day we had today.

 *  *  *
How about you? Have you ever been surprised by a longing for some aspect of a difficult time in your life? Join the conversation in the comments. I would love to hear your thoughts!

*  *  *
This post continues my thoughts of ICU Lessons of Faith. As I write posts about the lessons of faith in My Clarence Chronicles Series, I will continue to number the days of my postings and list them on Day 1's Index Page. But I will also begin to spread my wings and begin to write of other things in this space, too.

 *  *  *
Join me at Jen's place for other women writing for His glory? I find it to be a place of encouragement, perhaps you will, too.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm your neighbor at SDG today! This was a good reminder that clarity comes from attending to the important...and I do find that when my life is full with crisis or responsibilities that life seems to take on a more streamlined effect...oh to capture the clarity in the ordinary days :) I am learning ever so slowly to trust that God is the real manager of my life and he brings clarity as I seek Him and rest in whatever circumstances He has for each season. Blessing and clarity be yours today-Kel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kel, thanks for stopping by....and I love your thoughtful insight that clarity comes from attending to the important.

      Delete
  2. My husband and I were just saying that we, as a couple, do crisis well. Now for the every day stuff ...

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I perfectly understand crisis mode because I am currently there. The idea of finding the clarity during this time, understanding what is important and and ultimately learning that the urgent and important were the same is a wonderful revelation. I know for me being in crisis mode or a period of life that requires every bit of you in order to function that my focus becomes hypersensitive. When not in a crisis period of life, I would miss the focus that comes about as the urgent and important collide. Thank your for your insight. I'm visiting you today from the linkup at Finding Heaven. Blessings, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...