Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Treasure Test


This weekend we had a friend from Croatia eat dinner with us. On Saturday, we met a new friend from Asia. They have reminded us of our blessings here in America. We can read our Bibles; gather together with friends at home; we can buy discounted clothing; we reap from a spiritual harvest from generations long ago.

I am glad to be reminded of things that are easy for me to take for granted because I have always had them.

We also drove around and saw some of the devastation from the floods last weekend. Two different families from church came out of their homes with the clothes on their backs. That's it. As my daughter prayed that night with the woman's words: "Things are things. People are people." They had the most important thing: each other. They survived the flood with each other.

We work hard to have beautiful things around us that can be destroyed in a moment's flood.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

May my treasure be in God Himself and His beautiful created people. May I enjoy the beauty that is around me and even work to make my home beautiful but not to the point of treasuring the things above the people that live here. When disaster strikes, we are reminded of the most important things -- which aren't things at all but people.

Thankful today for the gift of today and the people that surround me each day -- my children and my husband.

Have a joyful day,
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation...I love hearing from you. Kathleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...